Digital Media Buyer
The Digital Media Buyer (DMB) will plan, buy, and manage strategy and execution of media campaigns across multiple mediums, including but not limited to social, paid search, video, display, and native. Traditional media buying experience is a bonus. The DMB will assist our senior buyer or media director in research, planning, negotiating and placement of all client media projects. S/he will assist in establishing appropriate media and budgets as well as negotiating and placing final client-approved buys. The DMB will interact with a variety of external contacts to place orders and negotiate rates and ad launches. S/he will communicate with clients or account executives on the status of buys in accordance with plans that have been developed. In addition, the buyer will be responsible for reconciling all media invoices, reviewing affidavits and ensuring that the schedule placed has been run according to the order. Position operates independently and has a moderate degree of latitude in decision-making, bringing exceptional items to supervisor for resolution. Keeps accurate records of activities for planning and billing purposes.
Essential Duties and Functions
- Develops digital media objectives and strategies.
- Effectively negotiates media buys, and actively seeks added value or makegoods when appropriate.
- Responsible for timely completion of all assigned projects meeting all given deadlines.
- Stewards media campaigns, including optimizations and troubleshooting.
- Maintains a working knowledge of all assigned/local market vendors and the strengths & weaknesses of each.
- Builds strong relationships with media vendor representatives and is able to clearly communicate the needs and desires of the assigned clients.
- Handles reporting on media campaign effectiveness, including developing key insights and future recommendations.
- Maintains and monitors client budgets.
- Maintains an ongoing knowledge of innovations, theories and practices pertaining to media functions and keep the agency informed.
- Pulls competitive data or media research to assist in strategic campaign planning.
- Provides department support with additional research, order creation, invoice reconciliation, and administrative support as needed.
- Plans, develops strategic media campaigns, negotiates, buys and places all client media schedules.
- Meets with clients to pitch proposals for media buys. Participates in client meetings to present campaigns, vendor meetings, and internal status update meetings.
- Places media, establishes and implements 3rd party tracking strategy, issues insertion orders to vendors.
- Develops timelines with deadlines and specifications for all materials needed.
- Timely placement of all media according to schedules.
- Researches media information, responds to inquiries and generates cost estimates for Account Services and clients.
- Reconciles all media vendor invoices. Maintains all digital and hard copy resource, media files. Processes monthly client invoices for all media insertion orders. Performs account maintenance to ensure plans are being met.
- Presents him or herself outside the agency in a manner in keeping with the firm’s core values and guiding principles.
- High school degree or equivalent.
- Bachelor’s degree in advertising, communications or related field.
- A minimum of five years of media buying/planning experience is required, including social, paid search, video, display, and native, preferably in an agency environment.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Other Characteristics.
- Must have the ability to understand client objectives and develop media strategies to accomplish said goals.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint, and media software (Smartplus & Scarborough).
- Must possess strong communication (written & verbal), interpersonal, negotiation, and analytical skills.
- Must have effective time management skills with the ability to meet tight deadlines.
- Must be highly detailed oriented.
- Moderate PPC strategy and campaign management is a plus, but not required.
- Must have a thorough understanding of general media planning, buying and placement principles, practices and procedures.
- Must possess good people skills and mature judgment since he/she regularly deals with external contacts and is often in the position of negotiator.
- Must be a team player.
- Ability to maintain confidential customer and company information.
- Ability to handle multiple projects and assignments simultaneously.
- Strong organizational and PC skills including standard Microsoft Office and other office software programs.
- Ability to read and comprehend instructions, short correspondence and memos.
- Ability to understand and follow directions, meet deadlines and work independently.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to other employees of the organization.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide using whole numbers and decimals; ability to create basic mathematical formulas with Excel spreadsheets. Ability to reconcile, maintain and perform analysis using spreadsheets with large amounts of data.
- Ability to apply common-sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form.
- Ability to solve daily problems by analyzing situations, determining next steps and implementing.
All interested applicants should send cover letter and current resume to email@example.com with “Digital Media Buyer” as the subject line.